When C.D. Howe was elected to Parliament in 1935 he was immediately given a
cabinet post as Minister of Transport. During World War II, he served as Minister of Munitions and Supplies, and later as
Minister of Reconstruction and Minister of Trade and Commerce. Howe served as a cabinet minister for 22 years, under Prime
Ministers Mackenzie King and Louis St. Laurent. During World War II, the Canadian construction and manufacturing industries were
tight government control, and C.D. Howe was the controller. Under C.D. Howe, the 'Minister of Everything', Canada was
transformed from a farm economy to an industrial nation.
Many people do not know that C.D. Howe...
- was responsible for surge in industry around the golden horseshoe on the Western end of lake Ontario (originally ran from
Toronto to Hamilton but has expanded considerably since then)
- was responsible for the start of the Canadian AVRO Arrow Program. When this program was cancelled by the Diefenbaker
government (a horrible Canadian tragedy and an example of political stupidity and short sightedness) some very interesting
- some AVRO employees and subcontractors went back to Europe to work on the Concorde SST program
- many AVRO employees and subcontractors went to the USA to become part of the NASA manned space program
- AVRO Canada was reincarnated as SPAR Aerospace which is currently known world wide for building the CanadARM remote manipulator which is used on the American Space Shuttle
- was responsible for the start of the Saskatchewan Wheat Cooperative (which is still in operation today)
- was one of the primary reasons that the allies won World War 2 (according to the British)
- was instrumental in starting the Canadian National Pipeline to deliver cheap natural gas to Canadian
homes and industry.
- was instrumental in starting the Saint Lawrence
Seaway (which was one of the reasons that Detroit became the auto manufacturing capital of the world and
steel manufacturing surged in Hamilton and is still viable today)
- was instrumental in starting Trans Canada Air
Lines which became Air Canada.
- saved C. N. Rail (Canadian National Rail) from bankruptcy
- introduced legislation that resulted in the formation of the CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Company)
- was born an American (Waltham, Massachusetts, USA) and so was labeled "not a real Canadian" by
politicians who were jealous of his decision making abilities.
- was educated as a Civil Engineer at MIT (Massachusetts Institute of Technology) and so never really thought of himself as
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada.